Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Degrees of Abstraction

Degrees of Abstraction, is an open invitation to all artist living in the United States. An online invitation and juried show by the Santa Cruz Art League.

I don't consider myself to be an abstract artist, however I do have some pieces that I have painted this year that I thought (fingers crossed) might fall into that category.

This first piece was painted in late March. Painted in a vibrant yet delicate palette - offering the feeling of movement while keeping your eyes on the page. It has a solid composition and offers the viewer a nice repetitive motion throughout the painting.

Floral Energy
30 x 22
Watercolor
Teresa Beyer

I have challenged myself to draw something everyday. Through the end of 2014 thinking that I could do a little drawing in 15 or 20 minutes. What has happened is that I've been painting instead of sketching. The following two pieces came from an experiment - creating textured paper by soaking it, adding some paint and crumpling it into a ball and letting it dry. 

Two hearts - a soulful embrace that created this heart shape. And yes I know abstracts are for the viewer to decide what they see. So I developed the heart maybe pushed the outcome to read as a heart. 

The textured paper reminds me of a distressed metal of some sort and offers a rich texture. Studying the piece my eye stays on the paper meaning that my eye isn't led off the page. My eyes land on the shoulders and then my eye travels down to the abdomen's, then over to the left and up to the necks and chins. Circling around. Maybe more cubist than abstract.

Two Heart's
15 x 11
Water soluble graphite
Teresa Beyer

This third piece is curious because one of the lovers is upside down. As I paint I turn the painting on the different sides so I had to decide which end was up. It can be changed of course. A beautiful yet delicate piece, almost feeling their breath. The texture in this painting is a bit subdued. Offering the viewer a bit of mysticism. Again this piece may be a tad more on the cubist genre than the abstract.

The Kiss
15 x 11
Watercolor
Teresa Beyer

So now I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that one of them is accepted. All who entered the show will find out on the 19th. 

As always, keeping the brushes wet,
Teresa










1 comment:

  1. I love all 3 pieces, and they are all so different! Hard to say which one resonates the most.. I'd say all 3 qualify as "abstract", and together they show (not all of) your range as an artist - I think they should select all 3!

    ReplyDelete