Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Coming Clean

Coming Clean


When I began painting, I lovingly would create a grid on a photo and with just as much care would recreate the grid to scale on my watercolor paper.

            I would draw out my drawing. And because I was working from a photo I would include way too much detail. The eye doesn’t pick up that much detail – mine doesn’t anyway.

            This would take several hours, maybe a day or two. Sometimes it would become a drawing instead of a painting.

            It was difficult to find a delicate balance of when to stop drawing and start painting.

            Then I was introduced to projecting!!! What a time saver. I could quickly project the photo onto the paper, no longer worried about proportions or scale.

            And so to this day I project. Cropping and no longer including detail, eager to get the proportions in and develop the painting as I paint. Yet somehow I have felt guilty about projecting for years. Thinking (that stinking, thinking) that somehow this made me less of an artist.

            This summer I went to a SCVWS artist demo. Ted Nuttall a very talented and successful artist. While giving his demo he casually mentioned that he projects. I felt as if I had been released of my bondage. Only to quickly slide back into the guilt and bondage.

            I want to learn how to draw and see again. To feel good about how and what I do. I have a wonderful new online friend and muse Nancy Scoble who has gently nudged me the past couple of mornings via email. Thank you Nancy.

            The other thing I have wanted to do is “The Artist Way” by Julia Cameron, to get into a routine and to define a workspace. (The desk at the top of the stairs is my new studio space. The light here is absolutely magnificent.) “Just do it!”





             So at the very least I promise myself to do a sketch everyday through the end of the year. Everyday posting my sketch and really learning how to use my new Samsung s5 camera phone, to work through the “Artist Way” and share with you whatever may come up.

            So today’s sketch is of a left shoe overlapping no erasing and a little projected piece of  The Palace of Fine Art” SF, CA.





Keeping the brushes wet,
Teresa




            

No comments:

Post a Comment